Thursday 25 July 2013

British paras versus German Grenadiers

This was my fourth game in the Overlord campaign, and having lost the first three I was keen to put a win in. My opponent brought a confident trained Grenadier list with some minefields, machine gun nests and plenty of artillery to break up my advancing infantry.

We rolled counterattack and I opted to do a night attack. Having spearhead moves and the first turn in this mission meant that I was able to advance a considerable distance by the end of turn one. I put two platoons of infantry towards the free objective, thinking that it would be the decisive flank, but sent my third platoon and the engineers towards the guarded objective.

It worked out in the exact opposite way. By the time my footsloggers had got to the far objective, it was being guarded by a platoon of grenadiers supported by a machine gun nest and a platoon of AA guns. There was no assaulting it. However, it turned out to be possible to launch a series of small assaults on isolated platoons on the opposite flank, and between that and wearing the platoons down with machine gun and six-pounder fire, managed to take the objective. The dice were on my side as my very much depleted infantry platoon saw off a counterattack (from the Company Commander and his 2iC) and passed platoon morale to hold the objective.

5 - 2 to me, and the first victory of the campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment