Tuesday 30 July 2013

British Parachute Company versus Fusilierkompanie

OK - game 5 of the campaign. So far I have won one and lost three, and this is going to be the final game for me. My losses have been 3-4, 1-6 and 3-4, and my single victory has been 5-2, which means I am 16 points down and only 12 up. I need to win 6-1 in order to finish 'ahead' on points (but who's counting???).

I am up against Martin and he's gone with a Fusilierkompanie - four platoons of Confident Veteran infantry bristling with MG teams and HMG teams, plus a platoon of StuGs and a six-strong battery of mortars. This game is also notable for the fact that it is the first outing for my new bocage - although I can now tell that I need to make at least another 8 feet of the stuff.

And we roll...encounter. Of all the missions...but still at least it is the same for both of us. Martin goes first, and moves a platoon up through the bocage on his left, and digs in with the platoon guarding the objective on his right. The mortars in the centre are of course silent on the first turn.

I have deployed two platoons of infantry in the bocage country, my engineers on the opposite flank, and my light artillery in the centre. Over the next few turns, the engineers make their way up through terrain to threaten Martin's right flank, and my two platoons in the bocage try to use the little fields to enfilade Martin's now exposed platoon.

As good luck would have it, Martin's reinforcements all turn up on the 'bocage' flank and the ones that don't he is more than willing to throw there to support his outnumbered infantry. He also directs almost all of his mortar fire on that flank as well (which is remarkably ineffective anyway). I am then able to support the opposite flank with my own reinforcements, and it is the engineers who put the assault in, clearing the defenders off the objective and holding it, although they are eventually reduced down to two bases.

Victory is mine and thanks to some very lucky dice I haven't lost a single platoon, meaning it is a 6-1 victory and in terms of the campaign as a whole I am 18 points to 17 to the good. Wellington eat your heart out.




No comments:

Post a Comment